Brilliant Bloggers is a bi-weekly series here at NMX where we look at the best posts from around the web all surrounding a specific topic. Every other week, we’ll feature a brilliant blogger, along with a huge list of more resources where you can learn about the topic. You can see more Brilliant Blogger posts or learn how to submit your link for an upcoming edition here.
This Week’s Topic: Landing Pages
A “landing page” is simply any page that promotes taking a certain action. As the name implies, this is where you want people to land when they click a certain link. You can also heavily optimize this page for search engines to try to get interested parties to land there. Sometimes, your landing page is a sales page, but more often, they promote downloading a free resource, signing up for a mailing list, etc. In other words, most landing pages are made with the goal of capturing leads.
Why have a landing page? Well, the hope is that anyone who comes to you landing page is extremely interested already. You aren’t trying to woo them with content marketing. Most landing pages do not have navigation or other links to get anywhere else on your site. The only thing for a person to do is take the action you want (like giving you their email address).
This week, I’ve compiled a collection of links giving you advice for creating a landing page. The most important piece of advice I can give you, however, is to TEST. Bloggers and marketers have lots of opinions on what works best, but you won’t know what works for your specific audience if you don’t systematically try new things and record the results.
Brilliant Blogger of the Week:
Beginner’s Guide to Landing Pages by Cameron Chapman
Looking for a really great guide to landing pages? If you’re a beginner, look no farther than Cameron Chapman’s post for KISSmetrics. Cameron goes over everything you need to know about creating a landing page, from start to finish.
Do you have a clear goal? What are some common design mistakes? Is your copy optimized? You can leave all of this from Cameron’s post.
After reading this post, you can also read more from Cameron on her blog and follow her on Twitter at @cameron_chapman.
Even More Brilliant Advice:
- 3 Neuromarketing Considerations For Landing Page Optimization by Mona Elesseily (@webmona)
- 3 Reasons Why Landing Pages Are Important by George Passwater (@georgepasswater)
- 3 Ways to Create More Engaging Website Landing Pages by AJ Kumar (@ajkumar)
- 5 Tips for Landing Pages for Affiliates from Brian Massey by Kelly Clay (@kellyhclay)
- 7 Key Design Tips for High-Converting Landing Pages [+ Free Templates] by Anum Hussain (@anummedia)
- 7 Landing Page Tips to Boost Lead Conversions by Katrice Svanda (@katricesvanda)
- 7 Tips for Highly Effective Landing Pages by Subhash Chandra (@indiadesigners)
- 10 Expert Tips for Increasing Landing Page Conversions by Megan Leap (@MeganLeap)
- 11 Simple (But Critical) Tips for Creating Better Landing Pages by Pamela Vaughan (@pamelump)
12 Tips for Good Landing Page Design by Steve Masters (@masterstips)
- 13 Landing Page Tricks that Increase Conversion by Morgan Brown (@morganb)
- 84 Tips For A Killer Landing Page Design by Alhan Keser (@AlhanKeser)
- A “Formula” for Landing Page Optimisation by Dave Chaffey (@DaveChaffey)
- Creating Landing Pages That Convert by Adrian Drysdale
- Designing Landing Pages That Work by Karol K. (@carlosinho)
- Five Tips For Creating The Ultimate Landing Page by Greg Shuey (@shuey03)
- Four Expert Tips on Landing Page Design by Stacey Acevero (@sacevero)
- How to Craft Phenomenal SEO Landing Pages That Rank & Convert by Ken Lyons (@KenJLyons)
- How to Make a Landing Page That C.O.N.V.E.R.T.S. by Beth Morgan (@bethmorgan)
- How to Make Money With Facebook Landing Pages by Jim Belosic (@shortstackjim)
- Keep It Simple, Stupid – 6 Tips for Creating Clean & Simple PPC Landing Pages by Randi Lucius
- Landing Page Optimization Is Not a Strategy, CXO Is by Mark Simpson (@MarkJ_Simpson)
- Make a Big Impact on Your Landing Page with a Small Budget Video by Andrew Follett (@demoduckvideo)
- Simple Trick to Measure Social Media Efforts by Becky McCray (@BeckyMcCray)
- The Biggest Piece of Advice for Increasing Landing Page Conversions by Obaidul Haque (@obaidulhaque)
- The Landing Page Optimization Process [Infographic] by Oli Gardner (@oligardner)
- The Secrets of Selling Like a Skeazy, Slimy Used Car Salesman by Joanna Wiebe (@copyhackers)
- Top Problems with Landing Pages & How to Improve Your Conversion Rates by Ashley Zeckman (@azeckman)
- Why “Going Naked” Makes Sense for Landing Pages [Data] by Hubspot (@hubspot)
Did I miss your post or a post by someone you know about landing pages? Unintentional! Help me out by leaving a comment below with the link.
Next Brilliant Blogger Topic: Content Curation
I’d love to include a link to your post in our next installment– and if you head to the Brilliant Bloggers Schedule, you can see even more upcoming posts. We all have something to learn from one another, so please don’t be shy! Head to the schedule today to learn how to submit your post so I won’t miss it.
Every page should have a goal in mind. Whatever it is, whatever your blog post’s point is, there should be a goal. Or you wouldn’t write a blog post, would you?
Think of a blog post as a landing page. Once someone reads your blog post, what do you want them to do?
Great share actually, most of us will too concentrate on how to make income and start to loose the essential thing about blogging, including me. This is so enlighten.
Great list of landing page resources. I’m unfortunately guilty of not taking full advantage of using landing pages in my projects. Bill is correct, as a blogger, each post should be considered a landing page.
I’ve seen some creative uses of “landing page elements” (i.e. signup forms, call to actions, etc.) in blog posts that blend right in with the content.