This year, BlogWorld attendees heard from an esteemed panel of online empire builders – host Mitch Joel from Six Pixels of Separation, BlogHer CEO Lisa Stone, Michael Stelzner from Social Media Examiner, and CEO of Federated Media Publishing Deanna Brown. If you want to check out the entire keynote, definitely pick up a virtual ticket. Here were some of my favorite quotes from the panelists:
- “I think it’s less about new empires and more about the fall of empires – the fall of old media.”
- “The most successful bloggers in our network blog about what they love.”
- “Avoid anything that puts you in a box.”
- “If you pick an area where you see a hole…you can build a massive following, and you can turn that into a business.”
- “Figure out what your customers of prospects are interested in…and then give them what they want.”
- “I say that I’m a publisher, I don’t say that I’m a blogger. I think that’s how we have to think about it.”
- “Today’s empire of one has to have a diversified business model.”
- “There is no contest that the most important thing you can do is deliver a fantastic story.”
Again, this is just a small sampling of the awesome empire-building advice these three panelists had to share! Check out the virtual ticket to see the entire presentation and get access to ALL of the sessions from BlogWorld LA 2011.
About the Speakers
Mitch Joel was recently named one of iMedia’s 25 Internet Marketing Leaders. He blogs at Six Pixels of Separation and is the president of Twist Media. You can find him on Twitter @mitchjoel.
Michael Stelzner is the founder and CEO of Social Media Examiner. Technorati and AdAge rank his site as one of the world’s Top 10 business blogs. You can find him on Twitter @Mike_Stelzner.
Lisa Stone is the co-founder and CEO of of BlogHer. Their content hub at BlogHer.com reaches more than 27 million women monthly. She’s on Twitter @lisastone.
Deanna Brown is the CEO of Federated Media Publishing and the co-founder of CondeNet, the digital division of publisher CondeNast. Find her on Twitter @deannabrown.