Every week there is another list of the Top, 10, 50, 100 or so mommy, tech, fitness, etc bloggers. As much as I hate those lists, I always have to check to see if I’m on the list. It’s like the car accident you can’t resist watching.
When you find that once again, you are not on a list, you can either throw a fit and decide that top blogger lists are hogwash and never read another one. Or you can take a look at the top bloggers closely and see if there are things they are doing that you could do better.
There is a reason that certain bloggers are always on the top lists. It is because they are known by many. The more people who know who you are, the more likely you will be on a list. Sounds simple!
Turn a top bloggers list into a research project.
1. Find a top bloggers list in your niche.
2. Look closely at the blogs of the top 10 on the list. What are the top posts on their blog? Do they have a lot of comments? What type of posts do they write?
3. Look at their Twitter account, Google + and Facebook Page. What types of interactions do you see? Are they sharing good information with their followers? Are they responding to questions they receive?
4. Google their names and find other places they are blogging.
5. Find similarities in the top 10 bloggers of the list.
6. Are the top bloggers a brand? How do they promote themselves as a brand? Do they use their blog to promote their brand?
After researching the top blogger list in your niche, look at your own blog. Are there things you could be doing better? Are you interacting with others on your social networking accounts.
Instead of feeling left out the next time you are not on a list, think of it as a learning opportunity. There is always room for improvement and growth. The top bloggers list can be a great resource.