Most of their Facebook fans did not take this status update well. They took it as an insult and felt like Nikon was saying that a photographer is only as good as his equipment, expensive equipment that is.
The status update, as you can see in the picture above, has over 3,000 comments. Here are a few of my favorites (fyi: Nikon misspellings – not mine).
- A chef is only as good as his oven
- Thanks nikkon, I guess I suck at photography then
- Wes; they are promoting their products by telling you that your skills, education, creative eye, etc mean NOTHING; that it is all in the equipment? Man, the kool-aid is getting to you Nikon folks!
- I hope Annie Leibovitz doesn’t use Nicon equipment
Not all of the comments are bad. Some fans are defending Nikon:
- What’s the big deal with this post? It’s a camera company marketing department. Their job is to promote Nikon
Nikon responded to the backlash this morning with this update.
Do you think their fans overreacted? Do you think Nikon’s social media strategist who posted that still has a job? Just another lesson in social media and how one little comment can create a firestorm of unhappy customers.