Brilliant Bloggers is a weekly series here at BlogWorld where we look at the best posts from around the web all surrounding a specific topic. Every week, we’ll feature three of the most brilliant bloggers out there, along with a huge list of more resources where you can learn about the topic. You can see more Brilliant Blogger posts or learn how to submit your link for an upcoming edition here.
This Week’s Topic: Working With Brands
Working with brands in an interesting way to monetize your blog. The most common approach is to simply join an affiliate program. You can also approach companies to ask for review products or negotiate other sponsorship packages, such as sidebar ads or conference attendee sponsorship. I’ve worked with tons of brands over the years, and the results have been a mixed bag. Some brands are extremely blogger friendly. Others still think that social media is a phase. In any case, I definitely recommend checking out the beyond brilliant Working with Brands post Michele McGraw wrote right here at the BlogWorld blog…and then head to the below posts for even more brilliant advice.
Advice from Brilliant Bloggers:
10 Tips for Working with Brands and PR Companies by Naomi Ellis
Before you start working with any brand, this is a post you should read. I love Naomi’s advice – her tips give you everything you need to know to get started. When I first started working with brands, these are definitely things I wish I would have known. Follow Naomi on Twitter @sevencherubs for more great advice.
Working with Brands: Reputation, Requests, & Saying No by Ashe
I love this post because it is a bit of a reality check. Working with brands can be awesome…but there is also the potential for some major suckatude. You don’t have to say yes, even if a brand approaches you. Not every brand is the right fit for you and your readers – and this post is a cautionary tale as to why that’s the case. After checking out the post, you can follow Ashe on Twitter @ashemischief.
Conference Sponsorship: What Bloggers Can Offer Brands by Leticia Barr
Conference sponsorship is an awesome beyond awesome way to work with brands as a blogger. This post by Leticia Barr gives awesome advice – especially about how to best work with brands so that the relationship is mutually beneficial without breaking conference rules. No conference, BlogWorld included, wants to kick people out so many sure you learn about their policy before working with a brand for conference sponsorship. After reading this post, check out Leticia on Twitter @techsavvymama.
BONUS: Preserving Your Integrity When Working With Brands I know this series is called “Brilliant Bloggers” but if you want to work with brands, you need to watch this video with David Segura, the CEO of Giant Media (@dseg10)
Even More Brilliant Advice:
- Blogger Rant: Your “Opportunity” is a Waste of My Time by Jaime Palmucci (@denimdebutante)
- Bloggers and Brands: 7 Tips for Working with PR by Francesca (@SITSGirls)
- Brands, Bloggers, and Money by Sommer Poquette (@greenmom)
- Brands Should Not Pay Bloggers by George F. Snell III (@HighTalk)
- Brands Working with Bloggers – It’s Confusing by Stephanie (@socialologist)
- Do Big Brands Exploit Mommy Bloggers Who Work for “Prizes and Rewards”? by Maggie McGary (@maggielmcg)
- Freebies aren’t for Free: Ten Things to Consider before Working with Brands by Tauni (@taunitweets)
- How Bloggers Can Make Money from Brands byMark Pollard (@markpollard)
- How Bloggers Should Work with Brands by Alana Brooks (@goodgrlgoneblog)
- Improving Brands and Blogger Relationships by Barbara Rozgonyi (@wiredprworks)
- Mom Bloggers Deserve to Get Paid by Kelby Carr (@typeamom)
- Monetization is in the Eye of the Beholder by Deb Ng (@DebNg)
- Online “Events” and Call in “Opportunities” by Ciaran Blumenfeld (@momfluential)
- What is Your Experience Working with Brands and Dads – video with C.C. Chapman (@CC_Chapman) by Holly Pavlika (@HollyPavlika)
- When Brands and Bloggers Collide by Busy Mom Blog (@busymom)
- Why Should Brands Pay Bloggers by Scott Hepburn (@scotthepburn)
- When You Don’t Get Invited… by Louisa Claire (@_Louisa_Claire_)
- Why Big Brands Won’t Advertise On Your Blog by Jason Falls (@jasonfalls)
- Why Mom Bloggers Shouldn’t Work for Tweets and Links by Jennifer James (@mombloggersclub)
- Working with Brands as a Brand Ambassador by Mariana Perez (@ohMariana)
- Working with Brands Online – Best Practices and Procedures by Peter Klein
- Working with Brands: the Blogger’s Perspective bySherin Malick (@HiFashionSherin)
- Working with Brands: The Important of Talking with Bloggers, not just at Them by Veronica Foale (@SleeplessNights)
Did I miss your post or a post by someone you know about working with brands? Unintentional! Help me out by leaving a comment below with the link!
Next Week’s Topic: TBD
I’d love to include a link to your post next week – and if you head to the Brilliant Bloggers Schedule, you can see even more upcoming posts. We all have something to learn from one another, so please don’t be shy! Head to the schedule today to learn how to submit your post so I won’t miss it.
Thanks for selecting such a well-rounded group of bloggers and posts, Alli! Lots of great information here.
The wiredprworks.com post you mention is a recap of panel I moderated at the Midwest Moms Media 2011 Brands and Bloggers Summit in Chicago. Six brilliant mom bloggers and three captivating brands discussed how to improve brands and blogger relationships. Thanks to MJ Tam for coordinating the event and giving me the opportunity to participate.
Hi Allison. Thanks for mention in the list. Much appreciated!
Great list of posts Alli! Now to set aside some time to read them all.
This is a great round-up of articles on branding. I’ve seen a few, but I can’t wait to check out the others! I will be encouraging my readers to do the same!
Thanks so much for the mention!
Thank you so much for including me, Alli!
Thanks so much for including my post. Love this collection of great inspiring bloggers and what a wealth of information. Naomi Ellis
I posted here – about how brands can better work with bloggers….
This is a wonderful list and so much great information!! Looking forward to enjoying more from some of these new (to me) blogs!
Thanks for the extra link, Emily!!
What a great selection of posts! Now I just need to find time to read them all! Thank you.
It is a great list and awesome. My blog has some tips of personal branding, reputation growth and development. It may be helpful too though this information here is helpful. Thanks for sharing. You may check it here:malok-mading.blogspot.com
I am sure these bloggers appreciate the mention. You have discussed a great topic. BlogWorld looks like a lot of fun. If I was on the West coast I would be fighting to be there.
Well, the good news is that we have an East Coast show every year too! So, if you can’t make it to our Las Vegas show in January, I hope you’ll stay tuned for the date/location of our next show. 🙂