30 Days to a Better Blog: Perfect Your Voice
Because a website is pretty two-dimensional, your writing needs to jump off the page and engage your audience. Your voice is what makes your blog unique. It’s what differentiates you from the masses. It’s what keeps people coming back again and again.
If you haven’t yet perfected your voice, this is the month to do it. I already wrote an article on five tips for finding your voice. Start there to figure out exactly the voice you want to portray. Then you need to perfect the voice you’ve established.
- You’ve chosen your voice. But is it really you? I’m a firm believer that your voice needs to be pretty authentic. If someone meets you in person, will they be shocked to find that you’re nothing like your blog persona? That’s not a good thing! Stay authentic … but make it
- You … only better. If you think you’re a little flat or stale, feel free to up the voice a little. As long as you keep it consistent you can add more sarcasm, humor, personality, etc.
- Ask someone to define your blogging style. Is that the voice you’re going for? If not, figure out what’s going wrong.
- Try a video blog. I find that my vlog style tends toward a mix of snark and wit. Maybe even more than my blog voice. If I can translate that to my blogging, I’d be golden!
- Stay consistent. The best way to perfect your voice is to stick with it and stay consistent. Have a favorite catch phrase? Use it often. Want to sign off your posts with a quote or saying? Do it every time.
How do you perfect your voice? Share in the comments below.
Image Source: SXC