If you want to learn the most current trends and buzzwords in social media, you need look no farther than the spreadsheet I’m using to keep track of speaker proposals. While there are many unique and creative ideas, there are some topics that are proposed by more than one person. More than two people, even. Some topics are proposed five or ten times leaving us with the dilemma of which topic to choose.
Here’s a look at BlogWorld‘s most proposed topics this year:
1. How to Measure Social Media – I had a feeling we’d get one or two of these. We actually received a lot more. For this we have to hash out which speaker sent in the best proposal, and then narrowing those proposals down to experience and speaking experience.
2. How to (Use Social Media to) Build Your Online Brand – An important topic as many BlogWorld/Social Media Business Summit attendees are new comers to the social media space and wish to learn more. Again, it’s a matter of choosing the best proposal and best speaker out of many.
3. How to Turn Your Blog into a Book – This was a topic I had on my wish list even before we began accepting proposals. It was an easy sell to the BlogWorld team and I was going to recruit folks for the panel. Imagine my pleasant suprise when received quite a few proposals for this topic. You’ll definitely find this panel at BlogWorld – but who will be sitting up on the stage? Stay tuned to find out…
4. Hyper local/Location Based Marketing – How to use Foursquare and Gowalla, how to market to your community, how to be local, how to hyper local… you get the idea.
5. Online Influence – How to be influential, why influence matters, how to choose an influential person to influence you…will it influence you to attend?
Here are a few other topics we received several pitches for:
- Repurposing content
- The importance of social media
- How to monetize a blog
- How to build traffic to your blog
Hint: Some of these are rather vague. “How to Monetize Your Blog” is too broad a topic, but “how to monetize your blog using affiliate sales” is better because it focuses on a specific method.
In the next few days, we’ll be narrowing down the applicants and adding speakers to the schedule. If you sent in a proposal for BlogWorld and haven’t already received a notice from us, expect to hear from us in the next week or so. If you’re an attendee, weigh in by telling us what topics you’re most interested in learning about at BlogWorld this year. We can’t succeed without your feedback.
Deb Ng is Conference Director for BlogWorld and blogs about blogging and social media at Kommein. Feel free to stalk her on Twitter @debng.
I was coming anyway, but these 5 topics are the “Bomb”! wouldn’t miss it now 🙂
It is funny, I was checking here to see if any speakers were announced yet and here is this post. Will speakers be notified before the early bird registration cutoff date?
Yes we will contact speakers before the early deadline Ben.
I like #2, using social media to build your brand.
Really excited to see who the speakers are and also the topics. Definitely some broad/vague ones here, but i’m guessing there were more details in the proposals.
Terrific post, I will be sure to come back and visit!
It is funny . Will speakers be notified before the early bird registration cutoff date?
Thank you for sharing this articles, I am having trouble thinking for the most search topic. I am planning having a blog this month bu until now i’m not sure what to blog about.. Nice thing you share it!