Earlier today on Twitter, Mike Stenger posted a link to an infographic on Soshable about what life would be like without Facebook. With 600 million users (as of Jan. 2011) who average 130 friends each and create an average of 90 pieces of new content (pictures, status updates, notes, etc., suffice to say that Facebook plays a significant role in our lives. And with 70% of local businesses using pages to connect with fans, everyone is beginning the realize the power of this platform. If it was suddenly taken away, it would be pretty jarring.
Twitter might be lingering behind Facebook, but I imagine that a life without it would be just as jarring. At least, it would be for me!
Today, I have a little challenge for you – think about what your blogging world would be like if Facebook and Twitter didn’t exist. Of course, they do exist, but I think sometimes we use them as crutches. We rely on people to share our links via Facebook and Twitter, so we don’t do much other promotional work. We don’t have to.
But just because you don’t have to doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t. You could be missing out on thousands of readers by not promoting your blog anywhere but Facebook and Twitter.
It’s a little exercise to stretch your blogging muscles – think about some of the well-known and creative ways you could promote your blog (and individual posts) to find readers who might miss what you’re doing on Facebook and Twitter. Facebook and Twitter might be your old standbys, but if you mix in some other techniques now and then, you can reach out to completely new readers – and that should be an exciting prospect to any blogger.
I’ll start by listing off some non-Facebook/Twitter ways to promote your posts. I hope you’ll add to it by leaving a comment at the end!
- Other General Social Networks (like LinkedIn)
- Niche-Specific Social Networks
- Social Bookmarking (StumbleUpon, Digg, Reddit, etc.)
- Emailing Your List
- Guest Posts on Blogs in your Niche (check out My Blog Guest)
- Comments on Other Blogs (especially those using CommentLuv)
- Guest-Hosting Podcasts
- Being an Expert Source (try HARO)
- Do Interviews (like Meet the Blogger)
- Hosting Webinars or Live Chats via Ustream
- Submitting Articles to Directories
- Include Links in your Signature on Forums
- Install a “Related Post” Plugin on your Blog
- Link to Old Posts within New Posts
- Include a Link in your Email Signature
- Buy Advertising
- Write a Press Release (if relevant to your post)
- Pitch your Story to Mainstream Media
- Create a Free WordPress Theme with Your Link in the Footer
- List your Blog in Blog and RSS Directories (like Technorati)
- Participate in Blog Carnivals (like Brilliant Bloggers)
- Email Friends Who Might Be Interested
- Upload Pictures on Flickr and Other Stock Photo Sites
- Upload a Video on YouTube and Othe Video Sites
- Attend Conferences like BlogWorld
Your turn – what are some non-Facebook/Twitter ways you promote your blog and your individual posts? Leave a comment below!