I woke up Wednesday morning to, went to log on to my personal blog and saw this:
A nightmare come true. I immediately clicked to find out why it was being tagged as an attack site, and part of the response was:
Of the 22 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 6 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-12-14, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-12-14. Malicious software is hosted on 6 domain(s), including razumtds.ws/, onlline.info/, atcheckpc.cz.cc/.
Yeah, remember how I posted this post about not using free WordPress themes? That’s what happens. I’ve had this blog forever and never got around to swapping out the theme. I had deleted out the footer but never thought to actually check the source code. Lo-and-behold, this is what I saw – all in my footer…
Now I had to take the steps to remedy the situation. I first upgraded WordPress to the latest version (since I was still back on version Neanderthal) and installed Genesis. After that, I followed these instructions from the Attack Site warning:
If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools.
From there you click on Request Reconsideration of your site. If you have not yet added yourself as an owner of your site, you will need to follow the steps to do so (this usually requires uploading a file or editing the html to prove ownership).
In my request for reconsideration I added the following comment:
My blog was reported as an attack site because of malicious footer tags in my WordPress theme. I have since removed the theme and replaced with Genesis. All malicious html code has been removed.
And then … two days later and a lot of hitting refresh … my site was back and “Attack Site” free!