In this two hour super-session, monetization experts offered the secrets of their success! Led by Jim Kukral, the speakers included Anita Campbell, Darren Rowse, Jeremy Schoemaker, and John Chow.
John Chow showed us how to have an ad-free blog but still make money!
He started off by giving us a glimpse at the Average Blog Business Model:
- Produce content. Add Google AdSense
- This business model doesn’t work
- It requires too much traffic
- The ad rates are too low
The main issue – when someone clicks on an ad, they leave your blog!
John’s Ultimate Blog Profit Model that he uses on JohnChow.com:
- Capture the lead! Get the email first and foremost (RSS, Twitter, Facebook are secondary). Get leads with free incentives and start the list from day one. John obtains leads by collecting newsletter subscribers and encouraging people to purchase his Free Ebook via a one-time Lightbox Popup and the Ultimate Footer Ad.
- Build the relationship. Have an automatic auto responder and then set up a series of emails to send out as a tie in to your free incentive. Establish trust by building yourself as an authority.
- Put the lead through a sales funnel. Find targeted products to recommend (could be your own products or affiliate products) … but recommend … DON’T SELL!