Your Twitter background is part of your social media presence, so you want to go with something better than just a default style. Ideally, you want something that’s going to convey who you are and what you blog about in a single image. Easier said than done.
Fortunately for those of us not skilled with Photoshop, graphic designers are starting to add “Twitter background designs” to their list of services. Some designers charge as little as $20 for basic, clean images, while others sell totally customized designs for several hundreds. To help you find the right design to fit your vision and budget, I’ve compiled a list of companies and individuals who do this kind of work:
- Jess Boyer: Ok, I have to start off with the person who designed my Twitter background, Jess Boyer. The last name probably gave it away – she’s my sister. And a graphic design college student. Her backgrounds are super affordable, but because she’s a student, her time is limited and she doesn’t have a huge portfolio yet. If you’re interested in getting a quote, email me and I’ll be happy to hook you up.
- Sirius Graphix: I’m listing Sirius Graphix second on the list because I’ve hired them in the past – and their work is impeccable. Deb Dorchak, Wendi Kelly, and their team were amazing at taking my long, rambling email with ideas for a blog header graphic and created a perfect design for me. Their Twitter background services are comprehensive, and you can contact them for more details on their website.
- 99designs: This isn’t a single design company per se. What you do is post a “contest” to create a Twitter background with a cash prize of the amount you’re willing to pay. Designers on this site can submit entries to the contest and you get to choose the one you like best. It’s a pretty interesting concept for getting design work done with little risk , so check out the website to get started.
- Social Identities: This company has made custom Twitter backgrounds for Darren Rowse, John Chow, David Risley, and countless others. They make backgrounds for $129 and also can help you customize your Facebook page. Order your own at their website.
- Studio 7 Designs: This copmany is unique in that they not only do a great job with graphic design work, but they are also eco-friendly and socially conscious. Check out their website to request a quote.
- Twittro.com: Check out Twittro.com’s portfolio of backgrounds. If this is the design company for you, you can expect to spend $50+ for your background.
- TweetXillo: While TweetXillo has a number of free backgrounds available for you to use, they also have custom designs available. Their graphic designers will create a background for you for $95. You can see examples of their work online.
- TwitterBackgrounds.com: This company has done dozens of custom backgrounds, which you can check out at their online portfolio. You can order your own for $99.
- Twitart: At Twitart, you can get a custom background for $78, a custom avatar for $28, or both for a package price of $88. They’ve done the backgrounds for Obama Wire, Quicken Loans, a lots of other companies and personalities.
- Tomas, The Closet Entrepreneur: Tomas has a guide to creating your own Twitter background on this site, but he also designs custom backgrounds for clients. You can contact him here to ask about pricing.
- Volusion: At $295, this company isn’t the cheapest on the list, but they offer comprehensive services with instruction on how to add your background to your Twitter account. They’ll even set up an account for you if you don’t have one yet, so this is a great option for new users.
- ProImpact7: Check out the ProImpact7 website to learn more about this UK company and their Twitter background services, which start at £300.
- TweetWithStyle: The appeal to this company is that they have a 48 hour turn-around time, so you can have your background quickly. Currently, their prices are set at $50, a huge discount on the regular $150 price.
- Graphix Marketing Solutions: This design company primarily does website design, but they also do Twitter background designs “a la mode.” You can hire them for just a Twitter background, or, if you’re starting a new website, you can hire them for both and have matching designs. Get a quote at their website.
- TweetStyle: This company has two custom design options – a basic service for $50 and a premium service for $95. Check out their website for more information.
- PimpMyTwitter: For $99, PimpMyTwitter‘s team can create a custom design for your Twitter background. They complete requests in 24 to 72 hours, so you can have your background fairly quickly with this company.
- Caffeinated Design Studio: This company does design work for static websites, blogs, ebooks, and more. Their custom Twitter backgrounds cost $125, and the advantage here is that you get an avatar designed as well. For background designs alone, contact Caffeinated Design Studio for pricing.
- Twitter Customizer: With this company, you’ll pay $67 for a background image currently. This is listed as their special sale price, so if you’re you’re interested in their services, don’t wait to order, since the price might go up in the future.
- MyTweetSpace.com: With this design company, you’ll work one-on-one with a designer to create a background. They have free options, and custom design options cost $79. Check out their website for more details.
- Twitlay.com: Twitlay.com has free versions, but you can also order a customized background for just $50 through this site. Here’s the website for more information about premium designs.
- Killer Tweets: This design company offers custom backgrounds starting at $99, which are completed in 72 hours in most cases. You can contact them through their website.
- CustomTwit.com: With this company, you have tons of custom design options. For just a background and set-up on Twitter, their services cost $99, but if you have other social media outposts, they have package deals to allow you to save money. They’re listed at the bottom of this page.
- Twitaura: You can get a custom Twitter background through this company for $99. Check out their website for more information.
Coming soon: A list of free resources to help you customize your Twitter background on your own.
Allison Boyer is a writer for BWE’s blog and the owner/manager of After Graduation. She apologizes for any Twitter designers she’s missed and hopes you’ll email her!